Friday, September 9, 2011

#11 Traveling Finally!

I. AM. SO. SORRY. I should have posted a long time ago but to be honest nothing really happened until I had my Obon vacation which I got back from about 4 weeks ago. Then I started typing this up after 2 weeks had passed but then I ran off to Kyoto and was too wiped out all week again to type more. Oops.

Anyway Obon is one of the religious holidays in Japan where folks commemorate their dead and their ancestors. In Japan it’s just kind of a family reunion-type of holiday. Sometimes people put lanterns in the river or families clean their ancestor’s graves or reveal new memorials to their families. Then there’s food. 
Here's a helpful wikipedia page about the holiday if you want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obon

So my work gave us 9 days off coinciding with Obon and for us foreigners it’s just (an extremely short)  summer vacation.  So I started off my vacation by going to Nagoya. It was about an hour-ish on the Shinkansen. I left Kurashiki at about 8 pm on Saturday (right after work) and caught the 8:30 Shinkansen in Okayama. I had a rolling suitcase that weighed about 50 lbs and a garment bag that I took with me. (I had forgotten my garment bag and had to turn around halfway to the train station and walk back to get them. Yes, I NEEDED it.) Overall I feel like my entire Obon vacation was incredibly blessed because I always had help everywhere I went. Friendly strangers helped me find my way to the right platform and the right train and the right car and then other friendly strangers offered to let me use their hanger for my garment bag on the train when I ended up with a seat without one and when I couldn’t navigate the Nagoya train station to save my life, I happened to find a hotel inside of the station and their other entrance happened to lead directly to the subway I was looking for. It was nearing 11 pm and the subway was PACKED but people were kind enough to let me have a seat with all of the crap I was carrying plus one girl had asked me where I traveled from that day and I told her Kurashiki and she was like “WOW” since Nagoya and Kurashiki aren’t close at all. She helped me get the seat. When I left the subway I managed to miracle myself to the correct station exit and in the right direction towards the hostel.  For not really have any idea of where I was going, I only REALLY got lost once, and that was inside of Nagoya station. By the time I checked in it was basically 11 pm which was an hour after my proposed check-in time that I put on my reservation. Oops.

Now I’m sure you’re all wondering “Why go to Nagoya?” and the answer is quite simple if you know me at all. Cosplay. I love it. And in Nagoya is where the World Cosplay Summit takes place and my work vacation happened to have landed right in the middle of the World Cosplay Summit festivities. So of course I had to go. I also knew the people who were competing as Team USA this year and they contacted me when they were selected to represent USA so that we could meet up and hang out; which we did.  It was soooo much fun hanging out with them and being able to see other Americans that DON’T work as English teachers was just so refreshing! I also got to meet up with one of my cosplay photographer friends too as he was acting as kind of press/manager/handler for the USA team this year because the regular USA organizer was unable to go this year. (It worked out really well for me ‘cause I ended up with her All-Access pass anyway. :3)
So here is the breakdown of my two days in Nagoya.
Day 1: Competition Day. I had missed the first two days of the Summit but I managed to arrive in time for the competition day which is the day that matters, so that was really fortunate. Nagoya was humid and hot in all of its sweaty glory and everyone at the summit was drenched, including me. I had made a bright red cotton dress to wear to the competition because 1. I didn’t want to be stuck sweating in a costume in that heat. 2. I didn’t want to be stuck sitting and watching the competition in a costume in that heat.
But I did wear a wig with my dress and it wasn’t so bad. I knew I would be fine in a wig because I wore a wig to Disney World once and everything was just fine. Here is a photo of my before I went out into the heat. Please forgive my silly expression. It’s what I do. Photo courtesy of LJinto.


 Here is a video of team USA's performance!

just a little bit of the crowd long before the events started.




Day 2: Sweet Castle Photo Event. This is the day that I dressed up in a costume. I dressed up as Sailor Venus from Sailor Moon. It is the only costume I have with me in Japan because everything else was too bulky and I needed the space for real life stuff. Anyway, this was a really nice event. The place called Sweet Castle is literally what it sounds like. The building looks like a castle and the whole thing is dedicated to sweets and cakes and candy. It has a buffet of just sweet things and there is a GIANT cake that goes through the middle of the castle with a spiral staircase around it. The cake is something like 4 stories tall. And just to answer any questions now: No the cake wasn’t real and neither was the icing. There were also other smaller giant cakes throughout the castle.
Sweet Castle was out in the middle of nowhere-land Nagoya and I had managed to magic myself onto the WCS bus with team USA on the premise that there was still room for me. (I was tiny and so was my stuff.) It was lucky because I would have had to pay an arm and a leg for a cab as the ride was about an hour long just to get there.
We get there by 11:30 and we only have half an hour to change. Which is silly ‘cause these people are all top-notch cosplayers and they all have crazy costumes that take at least an hour or more just to put on, let alone doing makeup.  After all the introductions and speeches and “official” photos were had, there was a short time where we could wander around and take photos wherever around the room we were in, then after lunch and more meetings and speeches, we could use the majority of the castle for photos. Lunch was good and thankfully it was not made entirely of sweets and sugar. It was clear that the castle staff had definitely put effort into trying to make the lunch menu as culturally diverse as they could muster, which still underwhelmed most of the WCS teams, but I was glad to see pizza and meat and potatoes again. I also tried the cake. It was delicious!
So the photos that I have from Sweet Castle are pretty much all from LJinto, the photographer friend I mentioned before. He takes a darn awesome photo too. :) We got to go into a giant room with mirrors on all four walls and the floor was black and white tiled. Then there was an all red room with red walls and red carpeting and red chairs. It was really sassy. But one of the silliest things at the castle, sillier than the red room, sillier than the giant 4 story cake, was the fountain at the front of the castle. It had a life-size Santa in his sleigh with like 2 reindeer at the lead. It was the first thing I saw at the castle and it made me burst out laughing when I saw it.
After Sweet Castle there was partying and fun times. I left early cause the music was legitimately too loud. This is the second time I’ve been somewhere where my ears actually hurt from how loud it was. The first time was at an awful dance club and I didn’t even bother to stay for 5 minutes. This time I had ear plugs and it helped immensely but it made socializing impossible, so I just went home early.



NEXT DAY.
I went to Tokyo.

I did so much sightseeing! The first thing I did was go to Akihabara and do a little bit of shopping. It was sooo crowded that it was hard to really see anything at all. The rest of the week is kind of a huge jumble right now so I’ll list all the places I went to:
Akihabara
Ueno Park (there were pandas and an old pagoda!)
Asakusa Shrine (I drew out the stick with the fortune that read “The Best Luck!”)
Sweets Café (Everything was based on the zodiac. I got the most ridiculous thing on the menu.)
Sunshine 60 (Great view of the city and had a Prince of Tennis mini-museum in it)
Tokyo Fish Market (Went really late, it was neat seeing chopped up fish, fisherman hate tourists so hard.)
Tokyo Tower (Awesome, awesome and more awesome!)
Harajuku (Awesome shopping and SOOO crowded! Did not go on a Sunday though so no crazy dress up time)
Gundam Café (Fun café, awful food)
Madoka Magica Café (Beautiful café! Needed a ticket to eat???)
Comiket/TFT: (Worst changing rooms in my life. Stand around hoping for photos. Everything is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CROWDED. Overall glad I did it but never again.)
ShabuShabu party in Shinjuku (Partying with the folks still in Tokyo from WCS. We got drunk and had a blast together. Shabu Shabu is delicious.)

and some photos!






If there is anything you want me to elaborate more on, please ask in the comments. I’ll try and make a post elaborating on it for you. I just couldn’t do it in this one as there was just too much to talk about with this trip to a point where I just had it do it that way in order to get it down. But I have a pro account on flickr now so please enjoy the photos! There are a lot of new ones!

Up next: Kyoto!!

No comments:

Post a Comment